Tostones with Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 cup of flat-leaf chopped parsley
- ¼ cup of oregano
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 green plantains
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
1. Add 1 cup of flat-leaf chopped parsley, ¼ cup of oregano, 2 tablespoons of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper flakes, ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon Kosher salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well combined, scraping down the bowl halfway if necessary. Transfer mixture to a bowl, add ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil and stir to combine. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.
2. Meanwhile, make the plantains: Cut off each end of 3 green plantains, using a paring knife, score each plantain lengthwise in 3 places. Then use your thumb to pry off the peel. Cut plantains into 1-inch pieces.
3. In a large frying pan on medium-high, heat 1 cup canola oil. When oil is hot, add plantain pieces, a few at a time, careful to not overcrowd the pan, and fry for 2 minutes. Flip and fry until just golden, another 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat in batches if needed until all pieces are fried.
4. Allow plantains to cool slightly, then smash each piece to ¼-inch thickness using the heel of your hand or the bottom of a small frying pan. In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of warm water and 2 teaspoons salt. Stir to dissolve, then dip plantain pieces in salted water for about 10 seconds each. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and pat dry.
5. Add remaining ¼ cup canola oil to frying pan and heat over medium-high. When oil is hot, add smashed plantains in batches and fry until crisp, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt to taste.
6. Serve tostones hot, drizzled with chimichurri (plus more on the side if desired), paired with Pure Leaf Unsweetened Lemon Iced Tea.
Note: Chimichurri will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.