Slow Cooker Spiced Moroccan Chicken with Apricots, Olives & Herbed Cous Cous
- For the Chicken:
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup Pure Leaf Unsweetened Lemon flavor Iced Tea
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1-2 tablespoon harissa paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup dried apricots (unsulfured if possible), chopped
- For the CousCous:
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups Couscous
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Tea-Pickled Radishes, see recipe above
1. In a large bowl, combine cumin, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add chicken, carrots and onion and toss to coat. Transfer to a slow cooker.
2. In another large bowl, combine Pure Leaf and broth. Whisk in 1-2 tablespoons harissa paste, to desired level of heat. Pour tea mixture over chicken, add bay leaf, cover and cook on high for 2 hours, according to slow cooker directions.
3. Stir in chickpeas, olives, apricots, cover and resume cooking on high until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 1 hour more.
4. Meanwhile prepare the couscous: Bring water or chicken broth, salt and butter to a boil. Remove from heat, add couscous, stir and cover for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender. Gently fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl. Mix together couscous, 1/4 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup mint, lemon juice and zest. Season with salt to taste.
5. When chicken is done, remove the bay leaf. Divide couscous into shallow bowls, spoon chicken, vegetables and juices over top and sprinkle with remaining fresh herbs before serving.