Sicilian Lemon and Honeysuckle Sorbet
YIELD 4 servings
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 ½ cups lemon juice
- Zest of 6 lemons
- 2 Thai chilies
- 1 cup cold water
1. Finely grate the lemon zest into a pan. Add the sugar, honey and cold water.
2. Wearing gloves, split the Thai chili in half. Add to the pan with the sugar and warm over low heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
3. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl, returning the lemon zest to the liquid.
4. Squeeze in the lemon juice and stir well.
5. Allow to cool slightly then chill in the freezer for around 30 minutes.
6. Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn until it’s the texture of sorbet.
7. Place into a plastic container and freeze for 2 hours to firm up before serving.