Minted Shortcakes with Strawberries and Green Tea Granita
- Serves 12
- Includes Pure Leaf Unsweetened Green Tea
For the shortcake
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1½ tbsps. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. chopped mint
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening, chilled
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 6 cups strawberries
For the green tea granita
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 18.5 fl. oz. bottle Pure Leaf Unsweetened Green Tea Iced Tea
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
1. To prepare the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, mint and ¾ cup of the sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
3. In another bowl, combine the eggs and milk and whisk until combined.
4. Add the cold shortening to bowl with the dry ingredients and work in with a pastry cutter (or your fingertips) until just combined. Add the liquids all at once and mix in until the dough just starts to come together.
5. Transfer to a slightly floured work area and knead until shortening is incorporated (do not over-work). Using flour as needed, roll the dough out to approx ¾” thick.
6. Cut with a 3-inch pastry cutter and place on baking paper-lined cookie tray. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Sprinkle the shortcakes with a little granulated sugar.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for approximately 15 to 17 minutes or until slightly firm to the touch.
8. Meanwhile, slice the strawberries and combine thoroughly with the remaining ¼ cup sugar. Crush lightly with a fork to macerate the berries.
9. For the green tea granita, bring the water to a boil with the sugar. Immediately remove from heat and let chill in the refrigerator. Stir in the Pure Leaf Unsweetened Green Tea and lemon juice.
10. Pour the mixture into a shallow glass or ceramic pan and freeze. Stir to break up the ice every 30 minutes or so, until the mixture is slushy and crunchy with crystals, about 3 hours total. If the mixture becomes too hard, pulse it once or twice in the food processor to break it up, or put it in the fridge and stir occasionally until it reaches the desired texture.
11. To assemble, cut the shortcakes in half and place the bottom layer on a plate. Place a scoop of the green tea granita on the shortcake and top with strawberries and shortcake.