Fuji Apple Ginger Compote, Meringue, Cocoa Worms
- FOR THE MERINGUE:
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 ounces egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
FOR THE FUJI APPLE GINGER COMPOTE:
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE WORMS:
- 12 fluid ounces heavy cream
- 1 pound high-quality milk chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sifted cocoa powder
FOR THE MERINGUE:
1. Combine the sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
2. Whisk until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Mixture will look frothy.
3. Transfer to the bowl of a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed for 10 minutes.
4. Increase to high speed and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.
5. To bake, preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Take an offset spatula and smear the merengue as thin as possible onto a baking sheet with a silicone sheet.
6. Bake for at least 2 hours until completely dry. Turn off the oven and let completely cool for another 2-3 hours.
7. Break into shards.
FOR THE COMPOTE:
1. Place the diced apples, ginger, cornstarch and water in a heavy saucepan and stir over medium-high heat until the mixture bubbles.
2. Reduce heat to low and cover.
3. Cook, stirring often, until the apples have cooked down but still have texture and shape, 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the sugar, lemon, and vanilla and simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE WORMS:
1. Place the heavy cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and add the chocolate in three additions, stirring with a rubber spatula until melted each time. Stir in the vanilla.
3. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and cover with plastic to cool completely.
4. Use a piping bag to pipe out worm-shaped ganache bites into the cocoa powder.
1. To plate, take a shard of merengue. Place a small ring-shaped cutter on top and fill with the compote. Garnish with chocolate worms.