Chocolate Mole Cake Recipe with Pomegranate Anglaise
- Makes 12 cakes
- Includes Pure Leaf Pomegranate Flavor Iced Tea
For the cake
- 11 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 10 tbsps. (1¼ sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. pure chile powder
- 10 tbsps. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tbsps. pumpkin seeds, ground
- 9 large eggs
- ½ tbsp. pure vanilla extract
For the Pomegranate Anglaise
- ½ cup Pure Leaf Pomegranate Flavor Iced Tea
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsps. sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, scraped
- 4 large egg yolks
1. To prepare the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and keep warm. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the butter until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, place the chile powder, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and pumpkin seeds and grind until super fine. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk, whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract on low speed. Add the chile mixture and whisk for 10 minutes longer. Add the melted chocolate, whisk to incorporate, and slowly add the butter until combined.
4. Divide the batter between 12 lightly oiled 4-oz. ramekins and place in a water bath. Transfer to the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes; the cakes will feel only slightly firm. Remove the ramekins and keep refrigerated for 1 hour before serving. Cakes are best served slightly warmed in the oven.
5. To prepare the pomegranate anglaise, place the Pure Leaf® Pomegranate Flavor Iced Tea, the pomegranate juice, the cream, the milk, the sugar and the vanilla bean into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately remove from heat and let infuse. Whisk the egg yolks in a mixing bowl and slowly strain in the cream mixture while stirring vigorously. Return to the saucepan and cook over low heat while stirring continuously, until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. Strain and let cool; keep covered.
6. Serve with the mole cake.