Arctic Char, Crispy Rice, Fuji Tea Broth
- FOR THE CHAR AND BROTH:
- 4 arctic char filets (3 ½ ounces each)
- 5 Fuji apples
- 5 Granny Smith apples
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 ½ ounces peeled ginger
- 2 ½ ounces Pure Leaf Fuji Apple & Ginger Organic Green Tea
- FOR THE CRISPY RICE:
- 1 quart sushi rice
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 ounce smoked soy salt
- FOR THE TURNIPS:
- 1 pound Tokyo turnips, quartered
- 1 quart dashi (use Hon Dashi, follow instructions)
- pound butter
FOR THE CHAR AND BROTH:
1. Juice all of the vegetables and add 1 teaspoon citric acid to prevent the juice from oxidizing.
2. Place the char in a sauté pan and cover with water and extra virgin olive oil. Steam the fish in a 300-degree oven for 5-7 minutes. Fish is best served at medium rare.
FOR THE CRISPY RICE:
1. Rinse the rice four times to activate the starches.
2. Cook in a rice cooker for 30 minutes until completely cooked (or cook in a pot according to the instructions).
3. Lay the rice on a cooling tray with parchment paper and let cool. Air dry overnight.
4. Preheat a fryer or large pot of oil to 325 degrees. Toss the cooked rice and rice flour together to coat the rice.
5. Fry the rice until crispy and drain on paper towels.
6. Toss with the soy salt and reserve.
FOR THE TURNIPS:
1. Bring the dashi to a boil in a wide saucepan and reduce until you have only 1 cup. Add the butter and the washed turnips.
2. Let simmer until the turnips are cooked and well glazed, 7-8 minutes or so.